Welcome to the Hillsboro Police web site. Our desire is to provide our community with timely information and news. I hope that you find the site informative and easy to navigate. Please let us know how we are doing. Thanks.
Chief David Roarick
2016 Halloween “trick or treat” recommended hours
I am a believer that Halloween trick or treating should be on Halloween as opposed to some other day dictated by the Police Department. I would only recommend that the hours be between 5pm and 8pm for the safety of our kids. Below are some Halloween safety tips to keep in mind. Thank you and Stay Safe!
– Chief David Roarick
Halloween Safety Tips
- Keep costumes short to prevent trips and falls.
- Use make-up instead of a mask. Masks often obstruct a child's vision making tasks like crossing the street and going up and down stairs dangerous.
- Make sure children wear light colors, put reflective tape on their costumes, or carry flashlights and/or glow sticks.
The Trick or Treating
- Make sure older children trick-or-treat with friends, never alone. Parents should map out a safe route. Young children should be accompanied by adults.
- Instruct children to stop only at familiar homes where the outside lights are on.
- Remind children not to enter the homes or cars of strangers.
- Follow your communities trick-or-treating hours.
- A good alternative to “Trick or Treating” is for parents to organize parties at home, in schools, or in community centers.
- Remind children not to eat any of their treats until they get home.
- Parents should check all treats at home in a well-lighted area and dispose of anything that seems to have been tampered with, has been opened, or is not wrapped.
- Remember to also inspect fruits for anything suspicious.
We are very happy to report that the Town of Hillsboro has been accepted as a member of the Concord Regional Crimeline. This is a great tool for allowing citizens to help their police department solve crimes and get paid for doing it!! If you would like to read more please vist www.ConcordRegionalCrimeline.com. If you have a "crime tip" for us call the listed number.
To learn more about CodeRed go to there website here http://www.ecnetwork.com/codered/